Sunday 5 March 2023

Witnessing California's snowy anomaly : Mission Peak

        Well, well, well ... that's surprising ... Snow storm, that too in the Bay ? In 2023, we witnessed an unusual climatic changeover in which a major winter storm affected the central and bay areas with weather changes that had not been seen in California for a long time. The high peaks were all covered in snow, with unexpected rain, strong gusts of wind, and hail storms. I really wanted to see this rare snow, so I opted to go to Mission Peak, the closest but most difficult hike where we could see the snow. Difficult ? Few may ask; but let me rephrase it by saying ... "Difficult for me".

Mission Peak
    I had made a failed attempt previously to hike Mission Peak, but my oh my, it's really steep! On researching few things further, its noteworthy to know that there are many trails towards Mission Peak, from different entryways. [Around 11 trails as per AllTrails] The hike I completed was the Mission Peak via Peak Meadow Trail. Please make sure before choosing the trail whether the elevation gain is right for your fitness level.

    Mission Peak via Peak Meadow Trail is a 5.8 mile out-and-back trail, with approximately 2600 ft. elevation gain which may take around approximately 4 hours [you may complete it earlier, depending on your fitness level, I could complete it within 3 hours and 30 mins] to complete the entire trail. The weather was extremely cold on the peak with very strong gusty winds. As the trail ascended towards the peak, there were slight shower of rains that made things quite worse, making the trails muddy and slippery with gusty cold winds deafening and numbing the ears.

     Cheers, I finally did it! They have this pole with few pipes nailed to mark the highest point of the peak. These pipes  work as whistle when the winds get stronger. It's a huge accomplishment for me to have finished this trek despite the awful weather. More surprising would be, who gets to see SNOW IN CALIFORNIA? Well, I did on Feb 26, 2023! That's me, documenting memories, bidding a farewell; until next time ... Ciao 

Share:

3 comments

Please leave a comment